Thursday, August 20, 2009

Giving up

After a long and painful process we have decided to switch Alana over to formula. It just didn't seem to matter what i did she would still get upset. I never knew whether she would be happy or not. I'm so sick of her tummy hurting. So, we, well me mostly, made the painful decision to switch her over. I cried most of the night last night. I never thought i would really like nursing. The idea was weird to me. However, i love nursing. I love holding my baby close to me and giving her something no one else can. I love the bond that i feel. I love when she looked up at me with those big blue eyes. I had really agonized over this. Everywhere you read tells you that nursing is best and that you should nurse no matter what. Well, finally I thought, how could it be better than formual if her tummy hurts. If i can make the pain stop wouldn't that be better. So, we are doing that. I'm hoping this is going to really make a difference. Now my boobs are so engorged- ouch. I never had to do this Jadynne since my milk just dried up with her. So i hope that the milk goes away quickly. I think the most important thing with kids is what is right for them, what makes them the most healthy (way to go captian obvious). But i think sometimes we try to follow experts or a philisophy or ideology (man i was going for a word i could spell i came up with two i cant spell). I guess its just me, but its hard not the listen to everyone in the world and think - i should do it this way- and not listen to the voice in my head. I listened to that voice and gave her formula last night and guess what- she slept for 11 hours. she sleeps better than jade. goodbye nursing hello formula.

3 comments:

The Youngs said...

Don't feel bad about yourself for giving up on nursing. Sometimes babies just can't handle their mother's milk. And it's not your fault! I sometimes wonder if that was a lot of Caylee's problems, on top of acid reflux. Anyway, I hope the switch to formula makes life a lot easier and less stressful for you guys. And BTW, I hear cold cabbage leaves are REALLY great for helping relieve pain, etc., while your milk is drying up.

Middletonfamily said...

We miss you guys! Can't wait to see you. Don't worry Christie a mother's job is doing what's best for their children and that's what you are doing. Say hi to the fam for us.

Annie Jane said...

You are the expert on your kids! Good for you, 11 hours! Hang in there!