Wednesday, July 22, 2009

the bird

Yesterday in our furance room we had a visitor. I was in the living room when i heard the creepy sound of claws against metal. At first i thought it was from outside- no such luck. When cameron came home he noticed it too. He opened the door and the sound would stop. I was positive it was simply a bird- he kept saying it could be a rat. Do i even need to explain to anyone my undying fear of rodents? sick buggy eyed little creatures that can claw you and nibble all over your fingers? i shiver just thinking of the dirty little things. i never could have gone down with indiana jones to the tomb underneath the church because the moment i saw the rats i would have peed my pants, starting scrabling for a high locale and screaming all at once. Indiana would have ditched me right there- no cup for me. anyway. cameron went back to work and i thought no more on the matter since i dont know how to get anything out of the pipes in the furance room. my sweet husband has the softest heart so when he came home for work that night he had to get that poor animal out. 'its scared to death christie, we have to get it out'. in theory i agree with him, when it comes down to it though i'm a huge scaredy cat. i knew it had to be a bird but...what if...what if....it was a RAT. i couldn't handle that. i was standing on a chair while we were talking about it because i couldn't handle being on the ground where a rat might ran out. Thankfully cameron got our neighbor Jay to come and help him. as i was completely ineffective. They jimmy-rigged a ton of stuff together, took pipes apart and finally-- ran outside each on a different side holding the bird in the little pipe and released to the wild. it flew straight into a tree- it was thankfully not a rat. This brings a new level to our family, I've always tried to be a really tough girl...but now the truth is out, i can no longer lie. i can no longer put up that front for my husband. he knows now that i am a huge woose. i cannot handle rodents...i guess at some point the truth about my toughness had to come out. i'm a girl. when it comes to beedy-eyed, slimy-coated, sharp clawed little demons i'm a coward through and through

2 comments:

Grandma Arlene said...

Personally, I would rather deal with a rodent than a bird. I'm petrified of them!! Glad my big tough son could help. Thanks for being such good neighbors and friends to Jay and Tina.
Arlene Middleton

Christie said...

we love jay and tina they are great. we couldn't ask for better friends or neighbors.